(Steamed Mussels In Sauce)
4 lbs mussels
6 cloves of garlic,, crushed
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
pinch of nutmeg
3 sprigs of thyme
2 tbsp flour
2 bay leaves
1 cup half & half or coconut milk
1 small onion , finely chopped
1/4 cup butter ( 1/2 stick)
chopped fresh dill for garnish
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1. Scrub the mussels and discard any damaged or open ones that don’t close when tapped with a knife.
2. Combine wine, nutmeg, thyme, bay leaves and onions in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add mussels and cover. Cook 4-5 minutes until the mussels open. Remove with a slotted spoon. Any mussels that do not open in a few minutes discard. Reserve the liquid and mussels separately.
3. In a large clean pan melt the butter and gently fry the fennel and garlic for 4-5 minutes until softened.
4. Stir in curry powder and flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually blend the cooking juices from the mussels. Return to the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir in half & half and pepper. Add mussels and heat through for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with dill and serve hot.
Notes: This has become one of our favorite ways to enjoy mussels. Don’t forget the crusty bread to soak up the juices.