In a large pot, add 1 &1/2 cups of dry white wine, water, or clam juice. Bring to a boil. Add 2 pounds of cleaned mussels. Cover and cook on med- high heat for 4-6 minutes, shaking pot occasionally . When mussels open they are done.
Meanwhile, slowly heat over LOW heat a pint or quart of Pemaquid Lobster & Seafood’s Marinara Clam Sauce that has been thawed in a large saucepan. With a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked mussels to the marinara sauce and stir to combine. Serve over your favorite pasta with a little Parmesan cheese. Enjoy with some crusty bread!! Note: warm sauce up slowly otherwise the clams may become tough.
1 large diced tomato
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 diced jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
1 cup dry white wine
2 scallions , sliced
2 lbs mussels
1 tablespoon butter
4 lemon wedges
Put the first 5 ingredients into a large pot with lid. Bring to a boil. Add mussels and steam 4-5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add butter and toss mussels. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon.
Notes: Discard any mussels that do not open.
(Steamed Mussels In Sauce)
4 lbs mussels
6 cloves of garlic,, crushed
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
pinch of nutmeg
3 sprigs of thyme
2 tbsp flour
2 bay leaves
1 cup half & half or coconut milk
1 small onion , finely chopped
1/4 cup butter ( 1/2 stick)
chopped fresh dill for garnish
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1. Scrub the mussels and discard any damaged or open ones that don’t close when tapped with a knife.
2. Combine wine, nutmeg, thyme, bay leaves and onions in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add mussels and cover. Cook 4-5 minutes until the mussels open. Remove with a slotted spoon. Any mussels that do not open in a few minutes discard. Reserve the liquid and mussels separately.
3. In a large clean pan melt the butter and gently fry the fennel and garlic for 4-5 minutes until softened.
4. Stir in curry powder and flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually blend the cooking juices from the mussels. Return to the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir in half & half and pepper. Add mussels and heat through for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with dill and serve hot.
Notes: This has become one of our favorite ways to enjoy mussels. Don’t forget the crusty bread to soak up the juices.